Search

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm a Tennessean...

And I'm extremely proud to be one. We have a natural disaster roughly 80 miles from where I live -- in a city I love to visit, had my child at one of the hospitals there, had fun with friends there, met lifelong friends there. And most of the places that are favorites are in ruins.

Have we gotten national coverage? If you count 15 minutes coverage - sure. I told my boss the other day (and have since read it many places) the reason we don't have national coverage is because we're behaving. There aren't any reports of looting, people killing each other for whatever reason, or anything like that. There are neighbors helping neighbors. Strangers helping strangers. We are called the Volunteer State after all.

I'm also proud to be from Coffee County. A few of our fine folks on the Rescue Squad are in Nashville & other areas helping out with rescues. My cousin, Joey, works for the Franklin Fire Dept and I know he and his co-workers are working to help out too.

It's hard to look at the pictures of places that I have visited and places that I always wanted to visit, but hadn't had a chance to, in a mess. A big mess. A "it's going to take us a long time if we ever recover" mess.

So, I ask for prayers -- for lives lost and the surviving families, for the people who lost it all, the businesses (especially the mom/pop operations), the rescue workers, just everyone. Prayers work -- Leah's proof!





0 comments:

Post a Comment